Τhe building of Grand Sarai is one of the oldest and most remarkable ones in the historical center of Nafplio.
Its construction period is estimated around the second Venetian occupation [1685-1715]. Due to its position and figure it holds an important and remarkable presence in the tissue of the old town.
Therefore it was selected to host the first Court of Auditors of the Modern Greek State in the period 1829-1833.
Later it housed for several years the police station and thereafter was used as a residence until 2002.It is listed as building of special historic and architectural interest from the Ministry of Environment and Public Works.
Architectural elements before restoration
From ground level to the first floor the building shell is made of stone. On the second floor the walls consist of panels on wooden frames with a characteristic sahnisi [overhang of the upper floor to the street, typical element of traditional houses of that period] towards Potamianou street.
The hipped roof is made of Byzantine tiles and holds a frame on its perimeter. The main staircase terminates on top of the roof, and small part of the roof at this point is flat.
All floors are made of wooden beams covered with wooden flooring. The ceilings are in most cases wooden with wide planks and covered gaps and at certain points they are ornamented with carved panels.
Staircases are closed with separate windows and wooden railings due to safety reasons and have been transformated several times, depending on the use.
The external window frames are also wooden of traditional design, characteristic of old town. The shutters are hanged with tiltable and rotatable blinds. The doors are made of double wooden panels.
The sahnisi leans on small buttresses [fourousia] with ornamented wooden panels in between.
the building hosts Grand Sarai Nafplio. In order to respond to the requirements of a contemporary hotel, the building has been through transformation of its interior layout with all respect to its existing architectural character.